Oxfam chief vows to root out wrongdoing at charity

Oxfam chief vows to root out wrongdoing at charity

In an interview with the BBC's diplomatic correspondent James Landale, she switched to speaking in a Ugandan language to make an apology: "From the bottom of my heart forgive us, forgive Oxfam".

The organization will more than triple its budget to pay for Oxfam's safeguarding team and additional investigative staff - and will establish a global database to ensure sex offenders can't falsify references.

She vowed to stand by the organisation "for many more years to come" after a number of high-profile ambassadors withdrew their support amid allegations of sexual exploitation within the charity.

"In taking these actions I am very aware that there are hundreds of good, courageous and compassionate people working for Oxfam around the world".

"Certainly the scale and intensity of the attacks feels out of proportion to the level of culpability". "You think, My God, there's something going on there'".

British aid organisation Oxfam said on Friday that it would create an independent commission to review the charity's practices and culture after accusations of sexual misconduct in Haiti.

He was hired by Oxfam in 2006 to work in Chad, where his staff is said to have brought prostitutes on charity property, according to a report in the Observer.

"This was with an honourable, mature woman, who was not an quake victim nor a prostitute".

Brooklyn judge blocks Trump admin from ending DACA
Citizenship and Immigration Services began accepting renewal applications from people approved for the Obama-era program. Some 690,000 Dreamers registered under the DACA program, and 1.1 million others were eligible but did not sign up.

The chief executive, however, then lashed out at Helen Evans, Oxfam's former global head of safeguarding, who recently said she had begged senior staff, ministers and the regulator to act on the sexual abuse allegations.

"I think that these people should be considered persona non grata", she said of the charity, which spent $15 million on its operations in the country past year and employs 248 staff.

He also offered a defence of his colleagues over the decision in 2011 to not disclose the full details of an inquiry into the behaviour of Haiti aid workers.

"The hardest thing is that my family has rejected me", he said. I've been clear about that right since this broke.

Evans said a survey of Oxfam staff in three countries including South Sudan showed around 10 per cent of staff had been sexually assaulted and others had witnessed or experienced rape or attempted rape by colleagues.

UK-based Oxfam, one of the world's biggest disaster relief charities, has neither confirmed nor denied the Haiti allegations but has said an internal investigation in 2011 confirmed unspecified sexual misconduct occurred.

He said his government "is willing and getting ready to take legal action against individuals" involved in the scandal - possibly including van Hauwermeiren and members of his staff.

Related Articles