Vettel wins Melbourne Grand Prix as Ricciardo suffers

Vettel wins Melbourne Grand Prix as Ricciardo suffers

The Red Bull driver had the best of the non-Mercedes cars in F1 previous year, placing third to eventual victor Nico Rosberg and three-time world champion Lewis Hamilton.

"Right now it looks like we have equal machinery", Vettel said.

"Just a long day and happy to move on". I'll try to have a bit of perspective on this.

What the global Formula One circuit and its new owners Liberty Media, which had clinched majority control in a $US8 billion deal in January, got was some exciting racing and some challenges to the dominant Mercedes team and its lead driver Lewis Hamilton.

Ricciardo admits that pole looks to be out of RBR's reach: "If Lewis does the ideal lap then that'll be a challenge to take the pole away from him, but we're not too far off".

At the conclusion of pre-season testing, there were suggestions that Red Bull was perhaps keeping its true speed under wraps but Sunday's performance clearly demonstrated that its gap to Ferrari and Mercedes is real.

Even the vanquished Hamilton welcomed Ferrari's first grand prix triumph in 18 months.

"I think Ferrari have done a great job on engine and on chassis, they have had a strong winter, but a season is 20 races and not one".

Red Bull Racing's Daniel Ricciardo says he was "caught by surprise" with the spin that caused his crash during qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix.

Oklahoma homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars with AR-15
Police charged Rodriguez with three complaints of first-degree murder and three complaints of first-degree burglary. He said he did not know whether Rodriguez had an attorney.

His problems then continued when heading out on track as he could not get out of sixth gear, prompting him to stop on track shortly after the pit lane opened.

Red Bull only managed to get one auto, Max Verstappen's, to the finish line after a wretched home race weekend for Daniel Ricciardo ended in retirement.

To the cheers of the Melbourne crowd, Ricciardo joined the race from the pits as the rest of the field was on its third lap.

"It was still valuable track time".

Two other cars retired before Ricciardo stopped again, this time at turn three on the 28th lap, with a fuel pressure problem.

"Don't get me wrong, it's been fun, but I feel bad for everyone, bad for the fans.

For all these things to happen at my home race that's probably the most frustrating thing", said Ricciardo.

"If I'm going to look on the bright side ... maybe we can learn something from his race and look forward", Ricciardo said.

Related Articles

  • Miami officers wounded in 'ambush-style' shooting

    Miami officers wounded in 'ambush-style' shooting

    Two undercover police officers are reportedly in stable condition after they were shot Monday night. One of the officers managed to return fire, before they were both rushed to a nearby hospital.

    Senators urge USA Hockey to end dispute with women's team

    The women's team is in the process of negotiating a four-year contract with USA Hockey that includes "appropriate compensation". The women's players don't have the same sources of revenue.
    Israeli Ambassador Undergoes Unkind Session with Russian Officials: Syria Strikes Unacceptable

    Israeli Ambassador Undergoes Unkind Session with Russian Officials: Syria Strikes Unacceptable

    However, a war monitoring group said that there had been no shelling at that time. Mustafa Badreddine was killed in an explosion in the Syrian capital in May 2016.
  • Everton's tribute to Seamus Coleman is simply fantastic

    Coleman's global team-mate and former Baggies striker Shane Long said afterwards: "I think he has got it done to him before, so I suppose he went in anxious about the challenge".
    Tillerson urges South Korea to make friendly with Japan

    Tillerson urges South Korea to make friendly with Japan

    Tillerson said diplomatic, economic and security measures would be pursued to put pressure on North Korea. Further, the USA and North Korea are unlikely to reach an accord even if they hold direct negotiations.
    Mark Sanchez will sign with Bears, report says — National Football League  free agency

    Mark Sanchez will sign with Bears, report says — National Football League free agency

    But the former New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, and Dallas Cowboys quarterback also has this moment on his highlight reel... Sanchez will be the fourth signal caller in the Bears QB room, joining starter Mike Glennon , Connor Shaw and David Fales.
  • Coleman horror injury mars Ireland-Wales draw

    The Southampton striker's wife, Kayleagh, has revealed just what Long said to the stricken Coleman as he was receiving treatment. Gianluigi Buffon kept a clean sheet in his 1,000th game as they beat Albania 2-0 in Paleromo.

    Trump should do a Meals on Wheels ride-along

    But such trials are hard to do, they're expensive, and funding for them seems to be going down, not up. Last year, its meal programs combined served more than 50,000 meals over a 4,600 square-mile area.

    Baylor vs. SC in the NCAA Tournament

    The Wildcats had no answer for senior Nigel Hayes, who scored 19 points, pulled down eight rebounds, and hit the game-winner. USC is the most confident, loosest and most pressure-free team in the tournament. "A pep rally", Wilson told the crowd.
  • Judge considering plan on fix for 18000 Flint water lines

    Earlier this month, the EPA awarded $100 million for Flint to update its drinking water infrastructure. People experienced rashes and hair loss when high levels of lead were found in the local water supply.
    Nunes Met With Source For Trump Monitoring Claim At White House

    Nunes Met With Source For Trump Monitoring Claim At White House

    He never claimed this backed up Trump's tweets about being "wiretapped" by President Obama. He added that his source was not a White House staffer and was an intelligence official.
    Israeli teen arrested in Israel over bomb threats to Jewish centers

    Israeli teen arrested in Israel over bomb threats to Jewish centers

    Authorities have not released his name but say the suspect has dual citizenship in the USA and Israel and was home-schooled. Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported the first incident was a 2016 bomb threat against a Jewish institution in New Zealand.